Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Pirate Christmas

My big Christmas treat was our Pirate Gathering. The Pirate Queens began many (and I do mean many) years ago with girls writing bad romance novels based on women pirates sailing the high seas on a ship called the "Anne Bonny". Anne Bonny was a real woman pirate who is related to me distantly. The whole idea of women pirates struck us as terribly romantic and exciting. The bloody reality never really crossed our minds and as a general rule still doesn't. The final version of the Pirate Queens came about approx 18 years ago. It includes myself (Brenna), Pin (the pin-striped pirate), Blade (I think the name says it all), and Red (pretty much self-explanatory as well). In the years since we try to get together as often as possible with all of us getting together almost once per year although Blade is harder to get together with as she is in California these days and it's a bunch more expensive to get her here.
This was a special Christmas as we were all together along with Blade's husband, Red's husband and daughter, and Pin's youngest son. Below is Red's family's Christmas Tree and Blade's husband.




Pin's Youngest Son





Red's Husband & Daughter



Blade & Husband






There was the usual talking and banter. It is amazing that in 18 years so little and yet so much changes. I wish we lived closer together. I don't have any really close female friends here. The Pirates are scattered and my other best friend, my sister, lives in BC. I really like lots of the ladies I work with but I'm shy about getting to know them better. I'd like to but it isn't something I find easy to do.

We did our usual present exchange and I must admit it is very nice to exchange pressies (presents) without having to deal with time delays on Skype when talking to Blade. I got some great books which I shall eventually review for you. Pin gave me the new Star Trek movie - which I absolutely adore. Who knew I possessed an inner trekkie? (More on that shortly.) I also have Red's newest recording. As per usual she sounds divine, even when singing opera. Below are some pics of us opening our presents. The Pirate Project was a great success, I am pleased to say. In retrospect it was an awfully ambitious project but I am very happy with the end results. I may include pictures of my favourite pages from it in a future blog.

Pin



Red




Blade




Back to Star Trek for a minute. The Pirates have a long history of unusual discussions on a very very wide range of topics. One of the ones that came up this time was "if you lived in the Star Trek 'verse (means universe for non fan fic readers) which Star Trek race would you belong to?" After much discussion we concluded that Pin would be a Vulcan, Blade would be a Romulan, Red would be a Betazoid, and I would be a brash, impetuous human - much like Captn Kirk. I can live with that. In some backhanded way I think it is even complimentary lol

Another tradition in which we always engage is the singing of Christmas Carols. Red, as you may have gathered, is an internationally renown opera singer with a voice like an angel. She also plays a mean piano. Pin is equally proficient on piano and has a lovely voice all of her own. She is the only atheist I know who sings in a church choir because she loves singing. Blade sings for strangers while walking her dog but also has a very good voice. I mouth the words to prevent tears of pain in those who surround us. I can't sing at all. So this year, I devoted myself to getting pics of the others singing. As well as a few of Red's daughter joining us. The little guy in Pin's arms is her youngest son. He doesn't sing much yet but give him time. His older brother is already well on his way with the piano and sings better than his father (a criminal lawyer)'s clients.









Blade felt it would be great to tattoo the baby so she sent tattoos home with them. I like the diaper with spank me written on it :)



Red's daughter got a stamp set and she and I had a great time covering ourselves in ink (which does not come out with soap and water - thanks Pin!). I even got a special stamp just to see if I could make the music man jealous.




We had lots of great conversations which have given me multiple ideas for upcoming blogs - wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment