Monday, January 5, 2009

A Day of Movies and a Day of Losing It

Sunday was quiet. I got up early and got the dogs done before running into town to pick up some chocolate for cookies for my vet (who I cannot say enough good things about). Upon returning I discovered that Mom and Dad had picked the same things up on their way home from the hotel they stayed at last night (after seeing a show about the British Invasion (musical invasion that is) at Stage West which they gave rave reviews). Great minds think alike. Of course with all those ingredients finally at hand I found I had lost my desire to cook.
Funny, I love to bake. It is something that I find very relaxing and when I start to feel stressed I reach for the flour and the sugar, Despite the fact that I have an enormous sweet tooth, I am as happy cooking for others as I am cooking for our household. There is something rewarding about feeding people. Joanna (my sister) and I laugh that someday we'll start a catering business - she'll cook and I'll bake. At any rate, I decided to give baking a pass for the day and instead veg out in front of the tv watching favourite old movies.
We started with The Replacements with Keanu Reeves. This ranks as my all time favourite sports movie for absolutely no good reason other than that I love Keanu Reeves, I like the underdog (especially when they are so very odd in so many funny ways) and I love the soundtrack. Possibly also because my younger nephew Alex does a wonderful imitation of Rhys Ifans licking his fingers and rubbing his nipples.
Followed it up with Speed - yes, still more Keanu Reeves. I still remember seeing this one in the theatres with fellow Pirate Queen, Barn-Yen. We were on a blockbuster-a-week binge and sat through it twice that day.
For the finale that evening, I left Reeves-land and watched an old favourite - True Lies with the current governor of California. A relaxing evening all in all.
Today, less relaxing. It really shouldn`t have been bad as I had lots of good business come into my office with lots of opportunities. Unfortunately my leg chose today as a good day to act up and I just got crankier and crankier from the pain. I called to book an appt with my doctor for the 15th. I figured that a week and a half is plenty of notice for an appt. I have some prescriptions that need renewing and I figure it`s time I stopped using the walk-in and saw him about my knee as it has become apparent that the stop-gap measures used so far just aren`t enough. I`m getting so frustrated and over-tired from not sleeping properly that I was close to tears several times today. The nurse told me that a week and a half is not enough though as, except for emergencies, my doctor is now booking for the end of January. She could put me in with one of his residents on the 15th though. I thought the purpose of having your own doctor was the consistency and the fact that you don`t start fresh with someone who doesn`t know you or your health each time you visit. Apparently I missed something. I accpeted the appt but later on today I came to the conclusion that this is too an emergency and I`m not sure I should wait until the 15th. I`m going to talk to my boss tomorrow and see if I can be a bit late on Thursday morning and book an appt. Otherwise I think I`m going to drive everyone around me crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Just as I suspected, your life is filled with interesting things that you never used to email us about.

    Glad you're writing about it now.

    ReplyDelete