Monday, January 18, 2010

Yes, I'm Behind Again...

I told you this one was harder to write. I cannot explain how much having a date for the surgery has lifted me. I feel so much better just knowing it is coming to an end.

I've been watching a few new tv series - we're renting Fringe, which I am really really enjoying. Pseudo scientific biology is just too much fun not to love. It's like the X-Files with biology instead of aliens.

I've also been watching The Republic of Doyle which is a brand new series on tv that is Canadian and set in Newfoundland. Made you laugh just thinking about, didn't it? It reminds me of the old Magnum P.I. series and the other old tv private eye shows that were big when I was much younger - things like Simon & Simon, the Rockford Files, etc.

I received a ton of books for Christmas and have been working my way through the pile.

Santa Olivia - by Jacqueline Carrey - beautiful if unusual take on the werewolf in a hopefully distant future. Made me think of Zorro at his best. Mind you I don't recall Zorro ever having a lesbian lover, etc. but that is the gift of Carrey. If you've never read her Kushiel books, they are well worth it.

The Spiderwick Chronicles - by I'm not sure who - I saw the movie and decided I wanted to read the books. I admit when I conceived this idea I had thought that the movie represented only the first book and not all five. While very enjoyable, but meant for a very young audience, I had read all five within a day. They took about an hour apiece. Having said that, the fact that I spent five hours that day reading says something about how enjoyable a read they were.

I'm now reading Kushiel's Justice and have Kushiel's Mercy waiting for me (both by Jacqueline Carrey). The first Kushiel Trilogy (starting with Kushiel's Dart) is an all time favourite of mine with Phedre no Delauney no Montreve featuring as one of my favourite heroines ever. I have read and reread the series many times. This meant that the second series had a lot to live up to and while I enjoyed the first book, Kushiel's Scion, I was not so enamored of it that I longed to read the second book, Kushiel's Justice. I had purchased it but it was sitting gathering dust on the shelf. When Blade gave me the third one, Kushiel's Mercy, for Christmas I decided to give it another try. I'm really glad I did as the second one has been a really great read. I don't think I'll ever love Imriel the way I love Phedre but he has grown a lot as a character. I'm looking forward to starting Kushiel's Mercy shortly.

Friday evening was a friend's last night at work so we decided to take her out for a few drinks after we closed the branch. I had finished earlier so I went home for a few hours and then returned to the branch just before closing. On my way back to the branch, I had the music cranked and was enjoying the manoeuvrability of Mom's little Nissan as opposed to my lumbering van. I don't know if it was eighties night on the radio or what but they kept playing songs from my early teens - things like Duran Duran's The Reflex. It put one of those silly grins on my face and for a little while I was a very young girl who loved really loud music again singing at the top of her lungs. Ironically enough, once we reached Moxie's they were playing some old eighties music as well and we were comparing notes on favourite old music.

I've resolved to attempt to boost my music library with some of my old favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment